How to buy the best car stereo for your car: The ultimate buying guide
Things to look for while buying the stereo that is perfect for your car
In the modern era, cars have turned from an enviable luxury to an essential necessity. With an increase in the disposable incomes and flexible financing opportunities, cars are within the reach of a majority of the population. Choosing the right car is an important decision, but during the tenure of usage of a car, you will be making more such important decisions that can enhance your travel experience and convenience.
One such decision is finding the best car stereo. Nowadays, car stereos have always been pivotal for a car’s experience and with new and modern features it has now become an essential luxury. Modern cars are equipped with car stereos or audio systems with various functionalities that not only offer an amazing sound experience, but are also beautiful to look at. But with several well-known brands out there, the decision to buy a car stereo might not be as easy to make. To buy the best car stereo for your car, it is first essential to understand the various functionalities of a car audio system. A car audio system has three different sections that offer different functionalities. These sections are as under:
- Source: The source of car audio system defines the music or audio you want to hear. A source for car stereo can range from an AM/FM tuner to a CD/DVD player or a satellite radio, iPod, smartphone or USB drive. Changing sources can let you change the type of media you want to hear on a car stereo and listen to the music of your choice.
- Preamp: Preamp lets you adjust the sounds that are heard through a car audio system. Preamp settings let you define the volume, balance, fade, source, tone, crossover and help in setting equalizer and time correction for playback.
- Amplifier: Amplifier helps in boosting low voltage audio signals from preamp settings to high voltage audio signals to be sent out to speakers for human ears to be heard.
These three functionalities combined define how a car audio system works. While most cars have factory-fitted car stereos, music aficionados always look for a better listening experience with a new and advanced car stereo. Before finalizing on the decision to buy a new car stereo, it is essential to understand the need and purpose of replacing the default factory stereo with a new car stereo. A carefully chosen car stereo promises better sound and music listening experience along with more playback options than the factory stereo that comes preinstalled in a car.
To get the best sound experience by making the right choice, one must take time in buying a car audio system. Here are a few pointers that will help you decide:
- Powerful stereo with better circuit design offers better sound quality : It is always advisable to buy a stereo with superior built-in power and better circuit design. This makes the car stereo produce louder, cleaner, richer, and more detailed sound than default car stereos. Also, a better car stereo opens more controls in preamp settings that can help in fine-tuning the music experience.
- Advanced car stereos expands the choice of source of music : A better functioning car stereo can help you in connecting to a number of modern gadgets and devices. This makes it easier for you to listen to a number of music formats and also support various music playback options owing to a greater library of music codecs. One can connect iPhones, Android smartphones, enable GPS navigation, and unlock a number of features with the help of a modern car audio system.
Additional things to keep in mind while buying a car stereo
- Sophistication: Modern car stereos with detailed displays come with touch screens that ease the pain related to complex settings. If you look forward to simplicity, choose a car stereo with touch screen facility.
- Sound controls: Car stereos, nowadays, can perform a variety of functions related to precise sound controls such as digital time correction and parametric equalization for tweaking the sound quality. The level of tweaking depends totally on the cost of a stereo.
- Looks: Car stereos significantly enhance the interiors of a car because of a high-tech display, cool LED lights, attractive layouts, customizable lighting schemes, etc. If you are looking to improve the car interiors, you can choose a car stereo with high levels of display customizations.
- Security: Modern audio systems with face recognition technology, Android OS and security PIN protection are safer than traditional audio systems. If you look forward to the safety of your car stereo, you should invest in a system with high level of security features.
- Expandability: Car stereos can help in enhancing the music listening experience in a car owing to rich expandability features. Auxiliary inputs, USB connections, AV outputs can help in connecting various gadgets, devices, music players, screens, amplifiers and subwoofers to a car stereo that improves the quality of sound in the car.
So, before buying a car stereo for your car, you should keep in mind the above points and choose the best based on functionality, features, budget and usability.